Boost News Desk | Sep 22, 2022 | 0
Do you support someone? Join us for Carers Rights Day
Do you look after a family member or friend with a disability or a health condition who cannot manage alone? If so, Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust’s Carer’s Service is inviting you to join one of our events to celebrate ‘Carers Rights Day’.
‘Carers Rights Day’, held on Thursday 21 November, is a national campaign to help unpaid carers understand their rights; learn about what support is available to them and also how to access that support.
Around 4,350 carers are registered on Torbay’s carers register, yet it is estimated that there are around 17,000 unpaid carers throughout Torbay. To celebrate the day, unpaid carers of all ages from Torbay are being invited to a range of free events.
The events on offer, listed below, include; a mindfulness taster session and a day of talks and exhibition stands, including information and advice about carers rights, benefit entitlements, assessments, support, discounts and much more. Most events include free refreshments:
· Wednesday 20 November (5.45pm-7pm) Mindfulness taster session provided by Talkworks, Brixham Friend’s Centre. Spaces are limited so booking is essential. For more information please contact Pauline on: (01803) 208455 or: [email protected]
· Thursday 21 November (10am-5.45pm) ‘Caring for your future’: a day of talks, with information stands at Paignton Library. Cake and other refreshments provided. A series of 13 talks with question/answer sessions on a range of relevant topics. For the full list of talks and to book a space to attend one (or all!) of the talks, please visit: www.tsdft.uk/carersrightday or phone: (01803) 208455. Official opening at 10.30am
- Carers Aid Torbay
- Parent Carers Forum
- Young Adult Carers and Young Carers Services
- Tissues & Issues
- Tissue Viability Service
- Falls Awareness
- Oral Health
- Help Overcoming Problems Effectively (HOPE)
- Disability Information Service
- Torbay Carers
- Stroke Association
- Technology Enabled Care
- and many, many more.
Thursday 21 November (9am-5pm) at Torbay Hospital – Exhibition stand and advice with free coffee and cake for carers at Aroma Café in the level 4 main reception of Torbay Hospital.
Saturday 23 November (10am-12noon) ‘Mince Pies and More’, Paignton Carers Centre, Paignton Library. Drop in session offering free hand massages and manicures, raffle and tombola as well as advice and information.
Katy Heard, Carers Lead for Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, said: “Often people who look after someone, especially a family member, don’t realise that they are considered to be carers, and that they have all sorts of rights.
“We hope that people will join us at Paignton Library for Carers Rights Day on Thursday 21 November or at any of the other events, to talk to us about what support is available for carers.
“There is support in hospitals, GP practices, information about working and caring, benefits and discounts and much more.”